Sunday, July 21, 2013
Celebrating my 54th Birthday! - Rules to Live By~
Celebrating my 54th Birthday!
One of the greatest gifts associated with aging is the acceptance that I can be who I am and no longer feel compelled to give a damn what other people think! (with the exception of the corporate world where it is often necessary to conform to the accepted to remain employed and get a paycheck).
After having experienced 54 years of life I can state with absolute certainty the following:
1) Every day is a blessing; I am grateful for all of my experiences, which brought me to the place I am today.
2) My husband is the biggest blessing in my life. The last 8 ½ years have been the happiest of my life. Everyday is a joy.
3) It doesn’t matter if you don’t have the job of your dreams. Make the job you have the best it can be. It is all in attitude. And if you can’t change your attitude, change your job.
4) I love wine. Drinking wine is a pleasure. I love the taste of a fine Cabernet, Zinfandel, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Cabernet Franc, and various blends of the above.
5) I love fine footwear. As long as I can afford to buy new shoes I will. I’ve earned the privilege to indulge in my passion.
6) a massage or facial is not just a treat, it is a necessity.
7) Yoga practice increases my joy of life through mental, physical and emotional connections. And people who practice yoga are rarely assholes.
8) I have never liked sweet potatoes and do not have to eat them.
9) The past is not something to rue, but to celebrate; the lessons learned have helped me appreciate where I am today.
10) Never judge a book by its cover, a person by his or her clothes, or a wine by its label. Some of the cutest labels are affixed to bottles of undrinkable wine.
11) Honor thy father and they mother; they gave me life and taught me the values I’ve been able to use to live a full and complete life.
12) It is okay to dislike people; not everybody is a pleasure to be around.
13) I will not engage those who are negative. It is toxic. I have no time or energy for toxic, happiness sucking individuals;
14) if people do not like me, it is their problem, not mine;
15) nobody owes me anything; (except my employer owes me a paycheck for the services rendered)
16) a good book is better than a good movie or a great TV show;
17) gardening brings me closer to God.
18) Having hobby or an interest totally diverse from one’s work is critical to having a balanced life;
19) Divorce can be good;
20) My favorite foods include asparagus, lamb chops, smoked pork, crab cakes, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, espresso, pasta with pesto, heirloom tomatoes, and olives/ olive tapenade. Olive tapenade makes everything taste fabulous.
21) Clothes have expiration dates. Toss an item when it is beyond its expiration date. Better yet, toss it if you no longer LOVE it.
22) Driving a convertible with the top down is exhilarating!
23) It is okay to be wrong. It took me 45 years to admit it! But it is okay and sometimes healthy to admit being wrong.
24) Don’t ever try to change somebody. Love them as they are or leave them.
25) Be true to yourself.