My thoughts & opinions on whatever pops into my head. Keep in mind, that my tongue is always kept firmly in cheek. My political opinions are just that...opinions - not intended to offend or inflame. Opinions are not facts & should not be construed as such. As a Libertarian & fan of the Constitution, I believe in free speech, free thought & the right to express my thoughts, beliefs & opinions just as all others have the same right. You are free not to read it
Sunday, June 22, 2014
Reupholstering Dining Chairs & Challenges with a Staple Gun
Reupholstering Dining Chairs& Challenges with a Staple Gun
is ever as easy as purported! When I purchased the antique mahogany dining set
from the estate sale in Ruckersville, the proprietor told me it would be easy
as pie to recover the seats. He plucked one up from a similar chair, flipped it
over and told me that with a yard and a half of fabric and a staple gun I would
have refurbished chairs lickety split.
Fabric I HAD to cover!
I cruised fabric stores and searched the Internet for a neutral fabric that
would appeal to both Todd and me. I found an eBay seller who was liquidating
his design shop in Tennessee who had top quality upholstery fabric remnants at
unbeatable prices and purchased a lovely gold damask piece by Brunschwig &
Fils after obtaining the blessing of my delightful but stitch Nazi husband.
was thrilled when the fabric arrived and eagerly displayed my purchase, only to
be met with skepticism. The tone on tone print appeared to be too big. I
disagreed and insisted that I could sway not so public opinion with careful
The Brunschwig & Fils Winning Choice!
doubt in part to humor me, my spousal unit ventured out to Wal-Mart yesterday
morning to present me with my very own staple gun. It did not come with
instructions, but I was convinced that such a simple device must be intuitive.
measured the fabric, which was the perfect size, and cut the piece into 6
pieces. Then I tried to remove the first seat. It wouldn’t come off! It never
occurred to me to check underneath to see if there were screws! Once my very
amused spouse suggested there were screws, I was set. I removed two seats to
begin – a side chair and an armchair. I carefully placed the fabric over the
purported original covering and set about affixing the fabric to the wooden
bottom. But, the staple gun did not belch up the staples! How difficult could
this be!!! Anybody can use a staple gun – I’ve seen it on those awful reality
shows!Oops! I had it turned around! I
found staples in the wrong place! The table! The middle of the chair! The
carpet! Ouch! At least I missed my foot!
I tried to screw a side chair seat onto an armchair! Didn’t notice they were
different sizes! And there was a gap! Too much fabric! It was too thick to lie
flat. After some investigation I discovered the chairs had been recovered
multiple times in the past. So, I had to undo my work, pull out the staples and
then remove the underlying layers of fabric. Sigh! Once I removed the ugly
fabric I was trying to hide, I found a lovely print that was still in excellent
condition! But, since I’d gone to the effort of embracing this project, I was
determined to finish!
What was hidden by the UGLY fabric!
I channeled my OCD productively and am satisfied with the result. For $48, a
hairpin learning curve, and a little sweat equity (thanks to hot flashes), we
have a pretty spiffy new old dining ensemble! I am woman hear me roar!